- Children in father-absent homes are five times more likely to be poor.
- Compared to living with both parents, living in a single-parent home doubles the risk that a child will suffer physical, emotional, and educational neglect.
- Teens without fathers were twice as likely to be involved in early sexual activity and seven times more likely to get pregnant as an adolescent.
When looking at national trends, all these statistics have fatherlessness as a common factor:
- 71% of all high school dropouts
- 85% of all youth in prison
- 63% of youth suicides
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children
Got questions? See Questions teen dads ask.
To see the source of this data, see Information sources.